All set up. Turns out that pickguard is lighter than I intended- I ordered ‘parchment’ when I should have ordered ‘cream.’ I like the effect though, it really pops the Olympic white body. Now to plug it in!
New plate, wired up. Can’t wait to see how these pickups sound. Those brown bobbins are Garolite—a little stiffer and thicker than the traditional vulcanized fiberboard. Milled them out on my cnc router. The bridge pickup has a grounded steel backing plate-first time trying one of those.
I also included a 500pf/220k ohm treble bleed circuit. Tone cap is .01uf orange drop, volume/tone pots are 250k and 500k Bourns PDA-24s, respectively.
New pickups for my strat. 10K bridge, 9.5K middle (counterwound) and 9K neck, all 43 gauge wire and .710” Alnico V magnets. Now just waiting on new pots from Mouser!
I did something dumb, and broke the bridge pickup on the last guitar I finished. So I made a new one. 11,500 turns of 43AWG. Hottest pickup I’ve ever wound! Measures 11.5k ohms, should sound like a strat pickup wound with 42AWG to 8.6k ohms, following the 75% rule. Still pretty hot.
Wrapping up some projects before we pack up and move. Finally getting around to winding some pickups for my Strat—the covers get a fun little detail.
Guitar I put together out of all the prototype parts I had laying around; the Sapele body is the very first one I successfully cut out on my CNC router. It is also the first time I used celluloid binding, and sprayed nitrocellulose. The body is much thinner than the later ones—No scale handy, but this guitar feels like less than 5 pounds. It feels like a hollowbody. Neck is birdseye maple with a Pao Ferro fretboard. Alnico V pickups, 8.5k and 7.5k, bridge and neck respectively. 3-way switch, 250k volume and tone pot, .022uF orange drop cap. Just waiting on tuners and a bridge to arrive. This one’s spoken for.
Gluing a fretboard to a neck. I usually go the plethora-of-clamps route, but I thought I’d try this instead, simple electrical tape, stretched tight. Seems to apply even, firm pressure, just a little squeezeout. Since the fingerboard and neck back are already radiused, this is easier, as clamps tend to roll to one side or the other. The alignment is set with index dowels, so no worries about lateral movement. I use System Three T-88 epoxy almost exclusively in guitar building. CA glue for some occasional things, Sometimes Titebond 1 if I’m out of epoxy :)